tiptoes

Saturday, January 28, 2006

quiet reflections on chinese new year

Chinese New Year 2006

'The best cure for the body is a quiet mind'--Napolean Bonaparte

but a quiet mind is hard to come by even when one is alone.

It was an uncommon feeling..to feel bored and restless on chinese new year. i woke up expectantly, like today was supposed to be some special day..but all that greeted me was quiet.

i had a nice time alone at the breakfast table, savouring my favourite meal--cornflakes and milk--and snacking on all the new year goodies that were untouched and begging to be eaten. It was relaxing browsing through the newspaper page by page--a luxury i hardly have time to do since o&g posting started. i was just beginning to enjoy having the house to myself when the neighbours started waking up..

as strains of chinese new year music and hearty laughther wafted in from the windows i felt a pang of nostalgia and ache for my family and relatives. i called my sister, who was alone in HK..and i took some comfort that i wasn't the only one in the world spending new year alone. she was just about to go shopping by herself, which made me feel a sudden urge to get out of the house and get soem retail therapy for myself, so we both wished each other luck that the shops would be opened, greeted each other happy new year again, and hung up.

so now i am gonna put on some bright coloured dress for the sake of it being a festive season, grab the keys and maybe catch a nice movie to lift my spirits.

but i do miss her, and the good old days, and i doubt i'll ever get used to growing up. and i know for sure that while being alone gives you freedom and independence, i think i'll always need loved ones around me to keep me feeling alive=)

'The virtues, like the Muses, are always seen in groups. A good principle was never found solitary in any breast. '-- Buddha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home