tiptoes

Thursday, June 01, 2006

I love New York!

'If you can only have one great love, then the city just may be mine. ' --Carrie, Sex & the City

'I'm always surprised when anyone leaves New York. I mean, where do they go?' --Samantha, Sex & the
City


I must admit New Haven is charming and peaceful and quiet ..But I somehow feel as if there is a layer of dust over this sleepy town that's getting on with her age & not keeping up with the times.

I took a side trip down to New York the other day cos I was bored in the Elm City.. So i hopped onto a train, tucked in with a really good book..'Style' by Kate Spade (haha i admit it's the pretty drawings and chic quotes which got my attraction)..And in 2 hours time, I was in Grand Central Terminal!

I felt as if I stepped into another world altogether. I've been to New York 2 years ago, and as soon as I stepped into Grand Central and its whirling crowds, deja vu hit me. All the excitment and adrenaline started rushing through my veins..The whiff of starbucks, the pulse of the peak-hour commuters, the incredible style & fashion in this city that never sleeps. I felt all energised immediately!

Thankfully, Mark was in New York, visiting his friend, so I had company for the day..We hit Fifth avenue at once, and allowed ourselves to be overwhelmed by the glitz & glamour of NY's haute couture..Tiffany's & Gucci..we just went in to gawk at the beautiful jewellery and clothes..and prices. Then of course there was Nike town, Abercrombie & Fitch.. The staff in Abercrombie were all so HOT..the girls & guys all looked like they had just stepped out from a summer fashion shoot! The store was so well decorated, with thumping music in the background and it seemed to scream 'Buy buy buy our american culture!' I tried to resist. Really. Visited the new Apple Store in fifth avenue. Daddy & Lina would have loved this place.. iPods, Mac, Genius Bar where you can get technical & creative help. I'm not a big Apple fan (not yet) but I was pretty blown away by the architecture & layout of the store!

We spent some time in Central Park, Soho, Greenwich village.. Greenwich village is generally known for its bohemian & alternative culture, and its colourful artistic residents.

There were many nice little cafes and restaurants..we were hungry and settled for an italian eatery round the corner. I had linguini al pesto which i totally enjoyed..The classic garlicky basil Pesto sauce is just perfect for summer! Too bad mark's spaghetti vongole was a tad too salty & the flavour of the wine wasn't really there..

And of course there was Times Square. There is no NY without its bustling bright famous square!
All too soon, it was time to hop onto the train and head back to New haven.. Oh well, at least i ended it with a very yummy dinner with nic! We both finished one large pizza (with extra cheese & meatballs) and 10 spicy chicken drumsticks/wings!